Us Weekly has affiliate partnerships so we may receive compensation for some links to products and services.
If you’re hoping to lock in an all-day matte makeup look through sweat, meals and the elements, you have to add two kinds of products to your routine: a mattifying makeup primer, and a mattifying setting spray or setting powder. The primer kicks things off on the perfect canvas, and setting products help, well, set everything in once you’re done creating your ideal look. But how to choose from the plethora of options out there?
We did the research and dug up the 10 most highly-rated mattifying makeup marvels on Amazon and Nordstrom, from silky-smooth and sticky-gel primers to easy-breezy setting mists to pore-blurring, soft-focus-creating setting powders. There are options for every need and every skin type here, so scroll on to find what will make you feel and look the most confident throughout the day’s adventures!
This skin-perfecting mattifying primer from Rimmel has an ultra-lightweight formula that controls shine while never feeling greasy or heavy.
- Wear it alone or with foundation
- Blurs the appearance of pores
- 8 hour shine control
- Might not be enough for super-oily skin
This longtime favorite primer from Smashbox delivers a matte look while controlling oil and defending skin — literally creating a ‘photo finish’!
- Ideal for both combination and oily skin types
- Bestselling product, trusted brand
- Might not be as useful for those with dry skin
Power Grip is a different kind of primer — gel based, which has a slightly sticky feel that helps to grip your makeup and prevent it from sliding right off as the day wears on.
- That makeup isn’t going anywhere!
- Infused with hyaluronic acid to retain moisture
- Some shoppers may not like the slightly sticky feel
This Gucci mattifying primer keeps makeup looking fresh while leaving skin feeling cared for, with a non-sticky cool gel formula.
- Developed for all skin types
- Blends seamlessly with foundation for natural, non-cakey finish
- Higher price point
- Only 1 oz. for the price
The Mattifier does just what the name says — it creates a silky-smooth matte canvas for makeup application by controlling oil and reducing shine for a healthy-looking finish.
- Made specifically for shine control
- Can be refreshed throughout the day to keep skin looking matte
- Some with more oily skin need more touch-ups throughout the day
Mattifying Setting Sprays & Powders
Skindinavia’s finishing spray was originally developed for brides, so you know it can lock in makeup through just about anything!
- Extra strength formula
- Cry, kiss or sweat — you’ll still look great
- Unbeatable heat & moisture protection
- Some feel it doesn’t work
Here’s a super-luxe microfine powder with soft-focus nanoparticles, made to blur away lines and imperfections for effortlessly flawless skin.
- Instagram famous brand
- Great reviews
- Higher price point for a powder
- Not a huge range of shades for skin matching
This weightless, alcohol-free mattifying setting spray promises to lock in makeup for up to 16 hours.
- Tested up to 16 hours of continuous mattifying wear
- Makes skin and makeup look smoother
- Soft-focus finish
- SUPER matte — seriously
This sheer, silky, best-selling powder from Laura Mercier sets your makeup and feels luxuriously dense in the jar and refined on your skin.
- Applies evenly and blends effortlessly
- Adds a touch of sheer coverage
- Soft-focus effect, blurring fine lines and imperfections
- Best for normal to oily skin types (not dry)
- BYO powder puff
- Some shoppers report breakouts
Last but certainly not least, we end with this classic from NYX, a viral favorite setting spray at a fabulously inexpensive price point.
- Under $10!
- 16-hour mattifying finish
- 5-star rating across an incredible 69,000+ reviews on Amazon
- Not heavy-duty enough for some
- Some feel it’s actually a bit greasy
Not done shopping yet? See more of our favorite products below:
This post is brought to you by Us Weekly’s Shop With Us team. The Shop With Us team aims to highlight products and services our readers might find interesting and useful, such as wedding-guest outfits, purses, plus-size swimsuits, women’s sneakers, bridal shapewear, and perfect gift ideas for everyone in your life. Product and service selection, however, is in no way intended to constitute an endorsement by either Us Weekly or of any celebrity mentioned in the post.
The Shop With Us team may receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. In addition, Us Weekly receives compensation from the manufacturer of the products we write about when you click on a link and then purchase the product featured in an article. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product or service is featured or recommended. Shop With Us operates independently from the advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback at ShopWithUs@usmagazine.com. Happy shopping!